Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shades of Things to Come


My current status should read: HOT MESS! I've got 10 pots boiling on a range with four burners and they are all about to explode or boil over. The old adage, "when it rains it pours" can be taken in both a positive or negative way and at this point, I'm Switzerland. I'm very excited about my new writing contract which I plan on signing and faxing over first thing tomorrow morning, yet I'm distressed about a few things surrounding the story. I'll get over it, believe me. I'm in it for the clips, money and experience. My moral code is a bit tarnished these days so I'll conform.


I've got so much going on with this new job...really. I'm committed to Women's History Month (of course it's mine!!!) A Green Fair during the Earth Day Celebration and Pay Equity Day. I'm also pitching in on a few other things and well, maybe, this is going to be my life for the next eight months. It's important to me to do not only well, but out of the ballpark well. I can settle for no less. I'm trying to sign Anita Hill, Michael Bloomberg, Geraldine Ferraro, Chuck Schumer, Hillary (no last name needed) and a variety of other people who can push my agenda's. This is a growing and learning time for me so for the first time in almost 14 years, I'm doing something to catapult my professional career rather than help students excel at theirs. I'm not sure how I feel about this sudden and unnatural change, however I've learned to become a flexible, critical thinker who often takes council from those around me...at least the ones that matter. Giving this new job a try is just what I'm doing and although I'm not interested in new real estate, I've promised myself that I will bend in favor of myself this time and be a little selfish. It's not in my nature to behave in such a way. I actually find it repulsive most of the time but I've given this much thought and realized that I gave up so much of myself for others for almost 15 years, it's time to really make myself a priority, especially in the workplace. I'm done with catty nonsense in the workplace...did that, failed, learned...moved on! I'm all about peace, love and green tea! Now is the time for serious planning, blowing people out of the water and exceeding the stringent goals I have set up for myself that will impact my career for years to come. This week will be stressful but I have a lot of support from the dog and cat, and of course my husband that never reads my blog (he says it's because I read them to him before I post...whatevs! I love you anyway!) but encourages me to write everyday. Boho is the first step in a journey of a thousand miles ( I think that's a JFK quote) so get ready...if it doesn't get cut, I'll be in January's issue.

No comments: