Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Want to Hear From You!


Since I shared my Election Day voting experience with you, I'd love to hear your stories. I know our side won, but it's important to document all experiences, feelings and emotions tied to this very important election. I collected a large amount of Hillary and Obama political paraphernalia this time around including pins, stickers, signs and the all-important "day after" New York Times, which is now being auctioned off on e-bay for in upwards of $300. I packaged everything up today and put it in a container with my Howard Dean and John Kerry pins from 2004, putting to rest my election stress for another four years. I'm not sure how I'll feel about Obama in 2012 but for now I'll remain loyal and enjoy the upcoming inauguration and swaring in ceremonies for the parade of Democrats that will soon control our government. I just hope they don't screw it up like the did back in 76'. Jimmy Carter was president and we had a democratically controlled House and Senate. Nothing got done and they pretty much stymied Carter's presidency. He ended up being a better humanitarian than president...says something about his prior employment doesn't it?


As you can tell, I'm somewhat of a cynic and perpetually fickle for my politicians that I temporarily worship until they fuck up and tragically stray from their original platforms that initially sold me on them. I'm realistic about what and who can do what when. I do think Obama has a knack for pulling people from all races and creeds together, and honestly, that would be enough for me right now. Maybe if we weave a little harmony into our daily routines, we can negate all the bitterness that has built up since the beginning of the Bush years. It's going to take a lot of work, but Americans come from a hardy lot and have overcome worse national tragedies and economic disasters than this. While jobs may be scarce for the next few months, there is a strong sense of hope for the future and if that's not enough for you nay-sayers out there, well than I suppose you can piss off and go cry in your beers with the rest of the McCain supporters. This lefty is going to be cheering the Big O on for many months to come. What do we have if we no longer have dreams?

No comments: