Thursday, November 27, 2008

Has Been Rick Astley Hits the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

I was taking a break from my Thanksgiving meal preparations this morning, still groggy from a bad nights sleep. I decided to turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and thought I was having a flashback to 1988. As this float with Muppet-like puppets slowed in the midst of Herald Square, I heard a little kids song emanating from the festive, mobile barge, when all of a sudden, a loud record scratch halted the entertainment, but only for a second. Much to my wondering eyes did appear, a pea coated British singer/hack named Rick Astley who once had the soul and sound of Barry White a long, long time ago but now looked more like a has been. His big downfall is that he looked and still looks like Howdy Doody, freckles and all. He did his big 80's hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up," surprising everyone I'm sure as he badly lip synced his way though the song. Even Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera said very little and I think I saw the signs of a grimace on Al Roker's usually happy face. I suppose my question would be, "Why?" Does he have a Greatest Hits package coming out or is he trying to make a come-back 20 years after his one hit wonder hit the charts. Watch it and let me know what you think!


No comments: