Friday, July 25, 2008

A Review of Whole Wheat Pizza Dough


I'd pretty much given up all white flour almost four years ago. I'm a big foodie and cook, and love to make homemade pizza, but haven't seemed to master the art of making whole wheat pizza dough. Mother said I should mix white and wheat flour together, which would give the crust a much better taste. I've tried every chemical mixture and concoction known to man to date and still have not found one that seems to please the palate. Sure, it's healthier for you, but let's talk about the gritty texture and the pure taste of terra ferma. YUCK!
This summer I was grilling up pizza's left and right, mixing all kinds of combinations, of course using homemade sauce and fresh buffalo mozzarella (moo-za-rella NOT moz-a-rella....that drives me CRAZY). I used white flour, seasoning the crust to perfection before hitting the olive oil and the hot coals of our grill. Ahhhh those summer nights! A little vino and I was set for some good conversation and lots of fun.
Last night, I thought I would make life easier and bought a pizza from this joint in East Meadow. Their regular pies are great and it was on the way home...well sort of....it was a Lia excursion. UGH...what horrible whole wheat crust...HORRIBLE. It laid on my stomach, as well as Vic's for what seemed to be eternity. So the moral of the story is...take more time out and cook at home rather than getting food from a pizza joint....and for God's sake, at least use a little white flour for your bloody crust! I like a 50-50 ratio of King Arthur White Wheat and KA White All Purpose Flour. I works and rises well. There is absolutely no grittiness or bitter flavor. Make sure you season the flour with garlic powder, dried herbs such as parsley, basil, oregano, red and black pepper and of course more garlic! Add a nice smooth olive oil, a pinch of salt and a spatter of sugar. Save just enough to help proof the yeast. Once you proof and all goes well, mix it up, place it in an oiled bowl and cover with a dish towel. I usually let my stand anywhere from an hour to two, depending on the season. Last week, I whipped up a batch of dough to grill that turned out fabulous. Sometimes it's a hit or miss.

More foodie advice and recipes to follow.
Ciao Bella!

No comments: