Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rainy Days and Sundays Always Get Me High


Today, Vic and I had planned on going to the beach or a fun indy flick but instead, we ended up in big box store. I'm not sure why I got the urge to go to Target, but I did and then regretted it since we spent a small fortune on nonsense. A huge green pocketbook, coconut organic shampoo a Bed Head hair product and some cheap bras...ooh la la.

By the time we finished shopping, the skies opened up and the rain was coming down in buckets. I convinced Vic to venture out into the pouring rain and since he trusts me with his life, he took the literal plunge. We ran to the car, half laughing, half moaning, running passionately through the large puddles that had formed. Soaked through and through, we threw our purchases into the trunk and jumped quickly into the dry car, escaping the huge bolts of lightening that began flashing. Inspecting each other with a once over, we realized that we were beyond water logged. Laughing loudly, we grabbed each other and kissed briefly. Even the most mundane things are enjoyable when he's around.

My shorts were so wet, you could see through them. Great. I wore purple undies underneath my shorts today so I'm sure some of the folks in the parking lot got a booty peek-a-boo show at my expense. I guess that's what they mean by Murphy's Law. If I had worn beige underoos, the sun would have sparkled all day, high in the sky and my bum would not have been public knowledge throughout the greater Nassau County region.

I put the heat on in the car, as we shivered uncontrollably. The rain continued its assault, pounding away at the roof of my car. As quickly as it began, it stopped and we were on our way home. What's better than a rainy Sunday in the summer or for that matter, any time of the year? Hurrying into the house, we stripped in the laundry room and threw our clothes into the dryer. After putting on my jammies, I made a quick peanut butter and jelly sandwich, while Vic ate a bowl full of grapes. We began to watch the Darjeerling Express and then took a break to discover why we have been together for almost 20 years. Enough said.

I'd like to think that Sunday's are not only a time to rest, but to enjoy the simple essence of being...just being. No crazy thoughts or hard work but just having the sweet sensation of spiritual renewal or physical satisfaction can be enough for any of us to face the drudgery of another work week. I wish Sunday's lasted just a bit longer because I always feel I could have done more...loved more, ate more, kissed more and especially slept more. This Sunday happened to be marvelous and its ended nicely with an ok steak dinner and great conversation. Now, I'm ready to hit the sack and get ready for another week that lacks intellectual stimulation.

No comments: